Theme: Look to the Forest
Arbor Day is all about trees! In Idaho, Arbor Day is the last Friday in April. It’s a holiday dedicated to tree planting and appreciating the role this renewable resource plays in our daily lives. To celebrate Arbor Day, the Idaho Forest Products Commission is sponsoring a photo contest. The competition is open to all Idaho students in 5th – 12th grades.
2019 Contest Guidelines
Give Us Your Best Shot!
Show us what you see when you Look to the Forest. Trees grow in our yards, along city streets, in parks, and especially in our vast forests. In fact, forty-one percent of Idaho is covered in forests.
When you Look to the Forest what do YOU see?
A special tree?
People working in forest-related jobs?
A fun playground?
A wood or paper product?
Wildlife that live in a forest?
Trees being planted?
Categories and Judging
A panel of judges will select a First Place winner for each division and a Grand Prize winner overall. Honorable Mentions may be awarded. Entries will be judged on composition, technique and the use of light, overall impact and originality, as well as expression of the theme Look to the Forest. The caption and photographer’s statement will be considered in the judging. All decisions of the judges are final.
One GRAND PRIZE winner will receive $100 and be honored at the state Arbor Day Celebration at the Idaho Capitol on Friday, April 26, 2019. The 2019 Arbor Day Tree will be planted in the winning student’s honor, with a beautiful plaque placed at the base. They may show off their special tree to friends and family for years to come! Travel to/from the ceremony will be provided to the event for the grand prize winner and a parent. FIRST PLACE winners of each category will receive $50. Award-winning photos of all Winners and Honorable Mentions will be featured on the IFPC website.
Entrant Agreement and Use of Images
By submitting an entry, entrants agree that this is an original image taken by the entrant and consent to unlimited use of the image by the Idaho Forest Products Commission (IFPC). Entrants grant IFPC the right to publish their name, school, and city in print or other media in connection with the photo contest. Photographs may be displayed on the IFPC website, at the state Arbor Day Celebration at the Idaho Capitol and other events.
- The contest theme is Look to the Forest.
- Photo must have been taken by the student.
- Photo must have been taken in Idaho.
- Entry must include a Caption.
- Entry must include a Photographer’s Statement (up to 50 words) sharing your interpretation of how your photo relates to the contest theme, Look to the Forest.
- Submissions may be made by the teacher, the student or the student’s parent. Every entry must be associated with a teacher/school. (Information submitted in entry form.)
- Resolution: At least 300 dpi. Maximum file size: 6 megabytes.
- Save the photo with your first and last name as the title (i.e. janedoe1.jpg).
- Submit photo in JPEG format
- Complete the entry form, including the caption and photographer’s statement, and upload your photo(s). Up to two (2) entries per person. Entry deadline is March 31.