Arbor Day Student Photo Contest
Theme: Look to the Forest
Arbor Day is all about trees! In Idaho, Arbor Day is the last Friday in April. It’s a holiday dedicated to tree planting and appreciating the role this renewable resource plays in our daily lives. To celebrate Arbor Day, the Idaho Forest Products Commission is sponsoring a photo contest. The competition is open to all Idaho students in 5th – 12th grades. Entries will be accepted through March 31.
GIVE US YOUR BEST SHOT
Show us what you see when you Look to the Forest. Trees grow in our yards, along city streets, in parks, and especially in our vast forests. In fact, forty-one percent of Idaho is covered in forests.
When you Look to the Forest what do YOU see?
A special tree?
People working in forest-related jobs?
A fun playground?
A wood or paper product?
Wildlife that live in a forest?
Trees being planted?
Please read before submitting:
Categories and Judging
A panel of judges will select a First Place winner for each category and a Grand Prize winner. Honorable mentions may be awarded. Entries will be judged on composition, technique and the use of light, overall impact and originality, as well as expression of the theme Look to the Forest. The caption and photographer’s statement will be considered in the judging. All decisions of the judges are final.
One GRAND PRIZE winner will receive $100 and be honored at the state Arbor Day Celebration at the Idaho Capitol on Friday, April 27, 2018. The 2018 Arbor Day Tree will be planted in the winning student’s honor, with a beautiful plaque placed at the base. They may show off their special tree to friends and family for years to come! Travel to/from the ceremony will be provided to the event for the grand prize winner and a parent. FIRST PLACE winners of each category will receive $50. Photos of all winners and Honorable Mentions will be featured in an online Winners’ Gallery.
Entrant Agreement and use of Images
By submitting an entry, entrants agree that this is an original image taken by the entrant and consent to unlimited use of the image by the Idaho Forest Products Commission (IFPC). Entrants grant IFPC the right to publish their name, school, and city in print or other media in connection with the photo contest. Photographs may be displayed at the state Arbor Day Celebration at the Idaho Capitol, and on the IFPC website, where they may be featured as Arbor Day e-cards.
- Complete the entry form, including the caption and photographer’s statement, and upload your photo(s). Up to two (2) entries per person. Entry deadline is March 31, 2018.
- The contest theme is Look to the Forest.
- Photo must have been taken by the student.
- Photo must have been taken in Idaho.
- Submissions may be made by the teacher, the student or the student’s parent. Every entry must be associated with a teacher/school. (Information submitted in entry form.)
- Submit photo in JPEG format
- Resolution: At least 300 dpi. Maximum file size: 6 megabytes.
- Save the photo with your first and last name as the title (i.e. janedoe1.jpg).
- Must include a caption for the photo.
- Must include a Photographer’s Statement (up to 50 words) sharing your interpretation of how your photo relates to the contest theme, Look to the Forest.