Sustainable Forestry Tour for Teachers & Counselors
June 25-29, 2018. Post Falls, Idaho
June 24-28, 2019. Post Falls, Idaho – Information coming soon.
Teachers and school counselors are treated to a VIP experience in the forests and mills of northern Idaho. They are immersed in the social, economic and ecological aspects of sustainable forestry, and receive proven activities and materials to take back to the classroom. The tour is supported by generous sponsors, including individuals, organizations, agencies and forest products businesses.
APPLY TO ATTEND
Who should apply? School counselors and teachers of 6th – 12th grades, especially sciences, math, language arts, social studies, agriculture/natural resources, STEM, engineering, mechanics, careers.
WHAT WILL PARTICIPANTS DO ON THE TOUR?
Explore beautiful forests • Identify trees • Investigate sustainable forest management • Experience proven standards-based activities to use with your students • Tour a high-tech sawmill • Network with colleagues • Interact with foresters, biologists, loggers, technology specialists and mill workers who care for forests and make products you use every day • Learn about careers • Touch the future forest at a seedling nursery • See how paper is made • Sit in a timber harvester • Watch fire fighters at work • Enjoy delicious meals Reflect underneath ancient trees • See the full-circle process of making products out of trees while sustaining forest ecosystems • Be motivated to share hands-on activities, knowledge, experiences and passion with your students!
- Based at Red Lion Templin’s Hotel on the River in Post Falls, Idaho
- Begins late morning on Monday and concludes late morning on Friday
- Transportation costs to and from the tour are covered.
- All meals are provided during the tour.
- Shared hotel accommodations are provided. Single room upgrade available at cost of $200 ($50/night for 4 nights)
- Optional graduate recertification credits are available from University of Idaho (1, 2 or 3 at a cost of $60/credit) and Northwest Nazarene University (3 at a total cost of $180), paid by participant. NEWESD 101 Clock hours (42.0) are available at total cost of $84.