Sustainable Forestry Tour for Teachers & Counselors June 22-26
The Idaho Forest Products Commission is taking proactive measures to keep our valued partners, educators and fellow Idahoans safe during these uncertain times caused by Covid-19.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We remain optimistic that the Sustainable Forestry Tour for Teachers and Counselors, June 22-26, will continue as planned. Teachers and counselors who serve 6th-12th graders – PLEASE APPLY for this amazing opportunity, just in case! In the event the June tour is cancelled, other options will be considered. All applicants will be considered for forest tour opportunities as they are scheduled.
APPLY TO ATTEND
If you are a school counselor and teacher of 6th – 12th grades, especially sciences, math, language arts, social studies, agriculture/natural resources, STEM, engineering, mechanics, careers, please click the button below to apply.
WHAT WILL PARTICIPANTS DO ON THE TOUR?
Explore beautiful forests • Identify trees • Investigate sustainable forest management • Experience proven standards-based activities to use with your students • Tour a high-tech sawmill • Network with colleagues • Interact with foresters, biologists, loggers, technology specialists and mill workers who care for forests and make products you use every day • Learn about careers • Touch the future forest at a seedling nursery • See how paper is made • Sit in a timber harvester • Watch fire fighters at work • Enjoy delicious meals Reflect underneath ancient trees • See the full-circle process of making products out of trees while sustaining forest ecosystems • Be motivated to share hands-on activities, knowledge, experiences and passion with your students!
- Based at Red Lion Templin’s Hotel on the River in Post Falls, Idaho
- Begins late morning on Monday and concludes late morning on Friday
- Transportation costs to and from the tour are covered.
- All meals are provided during the tour.
- Shared hotel accommodations are provided. Single room upgrade available at cost of $200 ($50/night for 4 nights)
- Optional graduate recertification credits are available from Northwest Nazarene University (3 at a total cost of $180), paid by participant. NEWESD 101 Clock hours (42.0) are available at total cost of $84.
- Communications related to the Sustainable Forestry Tour will be via email. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe sender list..
THE 2019 TOUR
During the 2019 Idaho Forest Products Commission’s Sustainable Forestry Tour, 42 teachers and school counselors explored forests and the forest products industry during a weeklong experience in northern Idaho. They explored the ecological, social and economic aspects of sustainable forestry, from nurseries, plantations, wildlife habitat and water quality, to forest certification, logging and wood and paper manufacturing.
Highlights included meeting people who work in the forest sector, witnessing their passion for their jobs and commitment to the land, as well as the modern technology they use every day. Participants return to their schools equipped with Project Learning Tree classroom activities and supporting materials and teaching tools. The tour is made possible by over 60 sponsors, along with numerous presenters and hosts. Thanks to this generous support, the teachers and counselors return home better prepared to educate and advise students about forest issues and career opportunities in the modern forest sector.